12.04.2009




These prints deal with the fragility of humans. Often we push people away because we fear the consequences of being close to others. After being hurt by another, many cannot handle the risk of feeling that pain once again The first print shows a woman who has been put on a "shelf" by another. She was pushed away and discarded. She was left to watch the other helplessly, only wanting to be near them once again. The second print deals with the same theme but in a more general manner. All people are connected, however we put ourselves in boxes and try to build walls between us and other people. We often think that if we keep the people in our life at a safe distance, we won't be hurt by them. Despite their attempts, the figures within this print continue to connect with each other.

The first print is entitled "Sooner than soon I was up on your wall, smaller than small."

The second print is entitled "Don't put your trust in walls for walls will only crush you when they fall."

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    My name is Andrew Basler and I was Joel's mentor a while back. I am looking through a bunch of these blogs of his current students and providing a little feedback about the good things I am seeing.

    I really enjoyed looking at the diversity of your prints. You seem to be able to hit on a lot of different subject matter using a handful of intaglio techniques. I grew to love multi plate intaglio, so I have an inclination to tell you to continue to explore that. You got a great handle on etching and aquatint so I think the possibilities are endless for you with multi plate intaglio.

    Tell that old Bastard Joel I said hi!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! This is only my second semester with intaglio printmaking so I know that I have so much more to learn but I have a real passion for it and I know that I will continue with it for a long time. I have explored some very different areas of intaglio recently and I am planning on putting up images soon. I hope you'll take a look at them and give me some feedback. Thanks again!

    Sarah

    And of course I will tell Joel you said hello.

    ReplyDelete