2.04.2012

The Cottage

The family cottage is one of the most important places in my life. I often use images of our cottage in my artwork because it symbolizes so many things for me.

"The Cottage"
Intaglio print

"The Love Shack"
Series of 3 intaglio prints

"When the tide was perfect"
Reductive Linoleum
My sister, my mom and me in the lake as young children. The beach and water levels were perfect for playing in the lake when we were young.

Lithographs
I had each family member draw our cottage while wearing a blindfold. I then overlapped the images to create a new image. Although these images at first glance seem convoluted, to me they make perfect sense. In some ways they are more accurate than a photograph of my cottage, because my family have chosen to represent only the most important parts of this place in their drawings. Also, two of us chose to represent the cottage from one angle, while the other three drew from the opposite angle. It is interesting that with the countless options of how to draw a place, we all produced nearly identical images, only with our own lines and styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment